Take a look at the dress I made last week, which I wore for Thanksgiving with my friend’s family and wore again on Sunday for a lazy day around town:
Without much prelude, here’s the finished dress!
It was really easy to sew and allowed me to practice a few techniques like inserting a centered zipper, facing necklines, and finishing seams with bias tape.
I don’t see a point to mastering centered zippers (as opposed to doing invisible zippers) aside from the fact that they make for more authentic-looking vintage inspired garments– can someone enlighten me? Anyway, I saw it as a challenge and this being my second centered zipper, it didn’t turn out too bad! I finished the center back seams with green bias tape that I made at home from the same fabric I used for the neckline facing. (I am very impressed with my neckline facing; it was a lot of work, but my Reader’s Digest Complete Guide to Sewing was insanely useful!)
I am really happy with the fit on this dress– it’s not fitted at all and it wasn’t meant to be. It is super comfortable, looks cute, and I get tons of compliments on it. People think it’s vintage! (I guess the handmade touch makes it look more like it.)
Very successful first dress! I’m already looking forward to starting a new project.
The goal for my Marimekko dress was simple: I wanted to make a dress with Marimekko fabric that adhered to Marimekko’s aesthetic, so picking the right pattern was important. I needed something with simple, clean lines that showcased the print of the fabric and didn’t interrupt it too much. Enter Simplicity 1776!
There are things that I liked and things I didn’t like about this pattern, some of which I could pick up from just looking at the design and most of which I only figured once the first muslin was on me.
- The simple shift looks like a more wearable riff on the inspiration for this dress.
- Came with sleeve options that were not really my style but I could alter to make a cute little cap sleeve if I wanted.
- It looks easy as cake to put together and would allow me to practice my zipper insertion and seam finishing.
- This pattern carries a whole lotta ease! So much so that I wondered if I cut my muslin two sizes up.
- No contour darts in the front; only bust darts. So that whole circus tent effect that I was trying to avoid? Marginally diminished in this design.
- Not enough room to fit my hips/butt, so my first muslin pulled a lot and was generally unflattering south of my waist.
- Weird gaping at the armscye because my bust is large and just pulls everything in weird directions.
- Gaping neckline; see above for cause.
Lucky for me, 2 courses in pattern drafting over 6 years ago armed me with a lot of confidence/chutzpah to alter my pattern to fix all of the fit issues.
Fit issues, tackled one at a time:
- Inserted contour darts: I just traced the darts from the back piece to the front piece, so both had identical darts about 1/2″ deep at the waist. Once the muslin was on the dress form, I turned those 1/2″ darts into 1″ darts because it was still too baggy for my taste.
- Too-tight hips: Since I didn’t need an extraordinary amount of extra ease at the hips, I added 1″ at the side front hemline and graded it to the waistline. This fixed the too-tight hips AND changed the skirt’s shape from square and boring to a bit more flared and cartoony (in a good way).
- Weird gaping at armscye and neckline: I’ve altered enough patterns to know my large bust was the cause of this problem. I just drew a 1/4″ deep dart from apex to armcsye and another 1/4″ deep dart from apex to neckline. While I was at it, I also took in another 1/2″ from apex to center bust to give myself a shapelier bust and avoid a weird uniboob effect. I transferred all of these darts to my preexisting bust dart to keep things neat.
After trying on my pattern adjustments with a second muslin, I was all ready to cut into my fabric and start sewing. I’ll share my progress on the next post…
I’ve been a huge fan of Marimekko designs for a very long time now. Their loud colors and signature bold patterns are just so fun! Although I have plenty of (deeply discounted) Marimekko goods in my apartment, I never bought any of their clothes for two reasons:
1) Their clothes are not cut for bodies like mine. I have a very hourglass shape and their designs are on the boxier side, which just makes me look like I’m wearing a circus tent. See below:
2) Frankly, I can’t afford their clothes. Their dresses start in the $250-300 range. Now, I’ve spent that sort of money on clothes before, but I only do so on things with complex construction details, not simple shifts made out of pretty fabric.
On a recent weekend in New York, I walked past the Crate and Barrel on Broadway and Houston and fell in love with a lime green, pink and orange Unikko printed cotton. (Unikko is the signature Marimekko poppy print, which gets re-imagined every season in different colors.)
Imagine my surprise when I spotted the same fabric at the Marimekko flagship on Madison Square, bolts of it resting on a table with a 50% off sign. Yes! I ran to the cutting table with a bolt in hand and requested 1.5 yards. My wallet cried a bit when I paid $36 for a cut of cotton… But when the alternative is a $250+ dress that doesn’t fit well, $36 sounds like a bargain.
And so armed with this fabric, notions and a pattern replicating the cut of Marimekko dresses, I began my journey back into sewing…