I took a break from this disaster to set up my new (to me) serger!
I spotted this number on Craigslist down in NYC and asked my boyfriend to make the journey out to Bushwick to pick it up. It’s not in mint condition but it works very, very smoothly and it was a steal– only $50! The thread tree is broken but I taped it and it works fine; I think I’ll want to buy a standalone thread tree. The lightbulb is out, so I’ll have to replace it as well. But $50 is not a lot of money to experiment with a serger (which I had never done) and this one will last me a while, or at least until I get sick of sewing!
If you hadn’t figured it out yet, it’s a Brother 1034D, which Amazon sells for close to $200. It took forever to figure out how to thread the bastard but I got it up and running and tried it on a new top, which I will post about soon. Figuring out what the right tension was took a few attempts, but I got it right. It makes finishing garments sooo much easier and faster and I am super happy about that. Finishing is my least favorite part of sewing.
I rearranged the furniture in my room this week as well, because my sewing really needs to be better contained. Check out my serger in my new sewing nook, right in my bedroom. (Sewing machine not pictured; it’s on the other side of the room.)